I am almost running out of veggie ideas to cook, so the hubby suggested Dou Miao the other day. I have not tried cooking Dou Miao before, and I am quite glad I tried this out! No need to chop the veggie lol.
We paired the Dou Miao with something light as well – Stir Fry Chicken with Cashew Nuts. Because usually time is quite tight for me in the mornings, I did this dish without the bell peppers. I also replaced the white pepper with black pepper.
Even though both dishes were light, they taste really well. Very easy on the tummy. I supposed if you want, you can add in some dried shrimps or fried white baits for the Dou Miao 🙂
Stir Fry Chicken with Cashew Nuts (Recipe adapted from Rasa Malaysia)
– 1 boneless & skinless chicken breast, about 10 oz. (cut into small cubes)
– 1/2 cup unsalted cashew nuts
– 1 small green bell pepper, about 4 oz. (cut into small square pieces)
– 5 slices ginger
– 1/4 onion (cut into small square pieces)
– 1 teaspoon baking soda
– 1 teaspoon corn starch
– 1/2 teaspoon rice wine
– 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
– 3/4 teaspoon soy sauce
– 3 tablespoons water
– 3 dashes white pepper powder
– 1/2 teaspoon sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon rice wine
– 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
– Salt to taste
1. Marinate the chicken meat with the baking soda for 15-20 minutes and then rinse the chicken thoroughly. (Please make sure that the chicken is properly rinsed clean of the baking soda.)
2. Pat the chicken meat dry with paper towels and then marinate with the rice wine and corn starch, for 15 minutes.
3. Mix the sauce together and set aside.
4. Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and stir-fry the chicken meat until the color turns white or half-cooked. Dish out and set aside.
5. Add another 1 tablespoon of cooking oil into the wok and add in the ginger slices, bell peppers and onions.
6. Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the green peppers and add the chicken meat back in.
7. Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is cooked and well coated with the sauce. Add salt to taste, if you like.
8. Add in the cashew nuts and do a few quick stirs (don’t cook the cashew nuts in the heated pan for too long, else it’ll become soggy). Dish out and serve the Cashew Chicken hot with steamed white rice.
Stir Fry Dou Miao with Garlic (Recipe adapted from Yee’s Kitchen)
1 packet dou miao
3 cloves garlic, (minced)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1. Rinse the dou miao well and drain away the excess water.
2. In a heated wok, add oil and saute garlic till fragrant (before it turns brown).
3. Add in dou miao and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. The dou miao should look softer now. Add in soya sauce and sesame oil.
4. Toss lightly for another 2 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and serve. You can sprinkle some crispy fried ikan billis on top, if you like.